Belcarra Day Camp Coordinator
Belcarra Day Camp Coordinator
June 19th – August 28th, 2023
Full-time / Day Camp Hours
· Hourly Wage (Monday – Friday 40 hours/week)
Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director
As a summer camp, Sasamat Outdoor Centre prides itself on creating an engaging and supportive community where children are made to feel included in the camp culture. The supportive nature of the camp allows for campers to try new activities and develop new skills with the help of caring staff members.
The Belcarra Day Camp program is located in Belcarra Regional Park, 5-minutes from Sasamat’s main camp. This program focuses on fun outdoor activities and hands-on learning programs for campers. Belcarra is a special day camp experience that allows our staff to have creative flexibility throughout their day and youth programs. Sasamat’s Belcarra Day Camp program enjoys unique experience to the area such as ocean based voyageur canoe paddles, crab fishing, natural science, field games, and more!
The Belcarra Coordinator is a supervisor role designed to support the rest of the day camp staff team through their experience, knowledge, and leadership. This person will demonstrate themselves to be approachable staff member willing to lend advice and help answer questions other staff might have around; group management, first aid, program instruction, etc. They will also help design and deliver creative programs during staff training and throughout the summer with the help of the weekend coordinator and Summer Camp Director. The Rover Coordinator is also the direct liaison for the day camp staff team to the Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director. The Rover Coordinator may be asked to perform additional duties in relation to program set up and take down as well as taking on leadership of the staff team as required or asked in specific situations.
The Rover Coordinator is responsible for helping supervise and coordinate the Rovers Day Camp program from Monday to Friday with the Assistance of the Summer Camp Director. They will be responsible for helping support and supervise up to 13 other staff members.
Skills of a strong Coordinator are enthusiasm, creativity in youth programming, independence, genuine care for others and strong work ethic. All camp staff should be prepared to support camp as a whole and be prepared to share duties of other areas of camp when needed.
How to apply:
Step 1 - Visit our website at https://www.sasamat.org/get-involved
Step 2 – Scroll down to the “apply now” link
Step 3 – Create an account and send us an application
We look Forward to hearing from you
Summer Camp 2023 Training
- Coordinator training
- Summer staff training
- Policy and procedure training
- RCABC course days
- RCABC Voyageur Canoe Course
General Responsibilities During Camp
1. In collaboration with the Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director and associate coordinators (Belcarra Day Camp and Weekend Camps coordinators).
- Pro-actively identify and solve problems and areas of concern for staff and campers
- Help plan, create, and facilitate required day camp staff training components
- Attend 100% of Coordinator staff training
2. In collaboration with day camp staff team and Summer Camp Director:
- Remain accessible and open, within reason; to answer staff questions and give advice to the best of their ability.
- Coordinate daily program clean up with day camp staff
- Assist in cleaning and disinfecting of program materials
- Contribute to weekly staff meetings re: leadership, team building, camper concerns, volunteer- support etc.
- Inventory program supplies and fill out supply requests to the Summer Camp Director
- Help plan day camp programs
- Relieve day camp staff as required
- Greet and Welcome campers and staff each morning
- Assist in creating and disseminating weekly program schedules and other weekly resources to the day camp staff
- Actively create and implement team building and staff bonding initiatives throughout the summer.
3. To Participate in 100% of pre-season staff training at camp and online
4. Adhere to and support all camp policies and procedures as detailed in the Staff Manual
5. Report all accidents/incidents and program concerns to the Executive Director/Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director
6. Assume designated role as assigned by Executive Director/Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director/designate in the event of an emergency
7. Maintain high levels of staff morale and conduct by providing mentorship and support to fellow staff
COVID-19 Policies and Procedures
- Sasamat outdoor Centre and Association of Neighborhood Houses of B.C (ANHBC) is committed to protecting the health and safety of its employees and the community. Subject to legal exemptions, proof of COVID-19 vaccination status will be required for this role prior to starting employment.
- Job offers with Sasamat Outdoor Centre and ANHBC is conditional on you providing Sasamat Outdoor Centre/ANHBC with proof, prior to the start date and in a form satisfactory to Sasamat Outdoor Centre/ANHBC, that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you do not provide such proof prior to your start date, job offers will be considered void and of no effect. If you are unable to be fully vaccinated on the basis of a ground protected by applicable law, you may request an accommodation from Sasamat outdoor Centre/ANHBC by contacting the Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Centre Director immediately. Sasamat outdoor Centre/ANHBC reserves the right to delay your start date while it considers your accommodation request. ANHBC also reserves the right to amend its COVID-19 vaccine requirement in its sole discretion.
- Sasamat outdoor Centre will work diligently to keep all staff informed of all Covid-19 related policies and procedures as they may change over time due to the ever-dynamic landscape and nature of the pandemic. For the most up-to-date policy information please visit our website at www.sasamat.org.
- Summer camp is a job like any other, where self-care is extremely important and camp staff are expected to be at work ready for an energy filled day or week of programs, maintain healthy practices, and balance personal/social lives appropriately.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Special focus on counselor development through leading by example, offering advise, and helping answer questions or coming up with creative solutions to problems/ barriers.
Staff and Volunteers
- Attend regular staff debriefs
- Act as liaison for staff to management on site to address concerns and questions
- Proactively identify and work to resolve counselor concerns with the Summer Camp Director
- Report major staff issues to the Executive Director/Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director
- Ensure high levels of staff morale by providing mentorship and leading by example
- Ensure staff and peers adhere to and support all camp policies and procedures as detailed in the Staff Manual
- Liaise/mediate between counselors when conflict arises, providing ideas for solutions and prevention
- Provide direct assistance to all program areas (including setup when necessary) and provide counselors with support, ideas, ongoing feedback
- Potentially respond to or assist in major first aid scenarios or first aid treatment
- Report counselor discipline or conduct concerns in writing to the Executive Director/Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director/designate
- Report any program concerns to the Executive Director/Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director/designate
- Contribute to and help facilitate mid-summer and end of summer staff evaluations (in attendance with Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director) and help provide written feedback for each counselor
- Ensure completion and timely submission of all counselor documents
- Submit a Final Report detailing the status of programs at camp, making any recommendations for next season and any other constructive comments
- Consult with parents when required
- Liaise with Facilities staff for assistance with COVID related cleaning, supply refills, or camper related cleaning needs.
- The Counselor Coordinator may be asked to assist in duties not listed above. Sasamat Outdoor Centre expects the support of all staff members in fulfilling objectives that may not be specific to this position
Specialized Knowledge and Certification
- Valid First Aid Certificate and CPR-C (or higher)
- Valid Class 4 driver’s license
- Small Boat Operators’ Certification
- Current RCA BC Advanced Solo/Tandem Canoe certification
Additional qualifications considered an asset
· Bronze Cross or NLS (Pool, Waterpark or Waterfront)
· Wilderness First Aid
· High Five
· Food Safe
- Challenge Course or Ropes Training
- OFA level 2 or equivalent
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and to exercise initiative
- Strong organizational ability
- Supervisory and management skill and experience
- Ability to work with a wide variety of ages and demographic groups
- Ability to take charge and motivate others
- Ability to supervise peers of a close age
- Ability to observe and assess staff and camper behavior, enforce safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, self-control
- Two years of experience as a Counselor in a Day Camp, or Overnight Camp, settings or equivalent experience in leadership, youth development, or youth based recreational programing or, teaching, and tourism.
- A day camp team lead role (may require some weekend work)
- Requires working in an outdoor environment in all weather conditions
- May require working with difficult clients
Physical RequirementsPhysical ability to lead a wide variety of challenging activities in an outdoor environment