Location: YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island Outdoor Centre/Camp Thunderbird (Sooke, BC)
Placement: May until Sept 1, 2023 Starting Wage Rate: $135.00 - $140.00/day (Commensurate with certifications, experience and position). No charge for Room and Board.
*NOTE: These positions are dependent on government funding, BC Provincial Health Orders and Guidelines (related to the COVID–19 pandemic) and sufficient registration levels.
Nature and Scope: Team Leaders (TLs) are leaders and role models in the camp community, and support our front-line program staff, in the delivery of quality outdoor education and summer camp programs. They provide a range of support from direct program instruction to guidance and mentorship of counselling staff members. All staff participate in daily cleaning, maintenance, and janitorial duties.
Successful applicants will be energetic, motivated, organized, and capable of creating a positive sense of belonging for all participants. Team Leaders will be required to live on-site during our program season in rustic, shared accommodation, and will be required to support counselling staff in providing care for children 24hrs/day. The requirement/availability of staff accommodation is dependent on continued approval of BC Health Authorities and standards set by the BCCA – if overnight camps are affected by COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, staff will need to have local accommodations. These casual/seasonal positions are entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA membership and 4% vacation pay.
Responsibilities: Program Team Leaders: • Supervise counselling staff, maintain and develop systems for organizing camp programs and logistics, develop new programming. • Communicate with, and respond to feedback from, Outdoor Education clients (teachers and group leaders) to ensure satisfaction with schedule, program delivery, meals and accommodation. • Responsible for a section of campers, up to 60-80 campers per session. • Support campers and their families by communicating with parents as required. • Perform administrative and organizational tasks related to their section. • Contribute to day-to-day camp operations such as support of dining hall logistics (when in service) and/or meal supervision, direct supervision of groups of campers, and other duties as required.
- Clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Education: Enrollment or completion of post-secondary education in a related field is an asset.
- Successful applicants will have several years of day or overnight camping experience.
- Current Standard First Aid with CPR C or higher
- Current Bronze Cross or National Lifeguard (NL) certification is valued (those with NL will earn a
higher wage than those with equivalent experience but without NL).
- The YMCA-YWCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff
and volunteers to be fully vaccinated (minimum 2 doses of vaccine).
- Commitment to the Organization’s Vision and Values
- Planning and Organization
- Quality Focus
- Commitment to Health and Safety
To Apply: Please send an application form, cover letter, and resume, identifying the specific position(s)
you are applying for, to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when suitable candidates have been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.